Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A teary-eyed goodbye...

Chitthi na koi sandesh.... Jaane woh kaun sa desh... Jahan tum chale gaye...

I still haven't come to terms with the news that my utmost favorite Jagjit Singh ji is no more... I dont recall any particular time or date, nor a specific song that got me hooked to his ghazals. I feel as if I have been in love with his voice for ever now.
Unlike many others, I would not say that his songs defined any particular phase or moment of my life. To me, his music & his beautiful voice is an inseparable aspect of my life and will always remain so. His music has been my constant companion & certainly the most favorite one as well in my best & worst times. Be it agony or romance, his mellifluous voice lent beautiful expression to all kinds of poetry and gave it a soul of its own. Everytime I heard his music, it moved & touched my soul in ways that I can never put down in words. While I was often moved to tears listening to his ghazals, he also managed to tickle me with his romantic renditions... There was none like him & there will never be another Jagjit Singh. As he undoubtedly is the king of ghazals!
I had long harbored a strong desire to witness his live performance atleast once in my life. About two months back, I booked the tickets for his show on 23rd September in Mumbai. On this very fateful day, he suffered a brain haemmorhage attack. I returned from the show sorely disappointed but with the hope that I would surely book tickets for Jagjit Singh's next performance. Alas! It was never meant to be...

No comments: